Synopsis: In this article, we will discuss the best methods to recover corrupted Excel file 2007/2010/2013/2016 along with the reasons for excel file corruption.
MS Excel spreadsheets have been used as a great source of data storage, management, and analysis by all kind of users such as schools, colleges, corporate, etc. But like any other MS Office application. MS Excel is also prone to corruption and other issues. The corrupt Excel spreadsheets render it useless as the users are not able to open them. In many cases, the Excel spreadsheet data is also lost.
Reasons for Excel File Corruption:
There are many reasons for MS Excel file corruption. Some of the reasons are:
- Unexpected System damage or sudden power failure
- Defect in Excel Application
- Hardware issues
- Bad Sectors: this can happen after prolonged use or due to improper shutdowns which can result in data falling into bad sectors and becoming inaccessible.
- The large size of excel files
- Virus or Hacker attack
- Different versions of Excel available i.e when the user tries to open different files in different Excel version, then the excel sheets can be damaged.
So, these are some of the reasons behind a damaged Excel workbook. Now let us take a look at the solutions to recover and restore these MS Excel Files.
Read Also : Recover Corrupt SQL Backup File
Easy Methods to recover corrupted excel file 2007/2010/2013
Some methods are explained below which are for different versions of MS Excel. Let us move further and take a look at these methods one by one.
- Method to recover corrupted excel file 2007
You can follow the steps given below:
- Open MS Excel 2007.
- Now, locate the corrupt Excel 2007 file on your system in the Open dialog box.
- Now choose Open and Repair option.
- Click on Repair tab when asked to recover the data of the Excel 2007.
- After this step, if the repair fails, click on Extract Data so that you can extract the values and the formula from the corrupt file and save it safely at the place of your choice.
- Method to recover corrupted excel file 2010
To restore corrupt files in Excel 2010, follow the steps given below:
- Open Microsoft Excel 2010 by clicking on File option and then select Open.
- Browse and find the corrupt or damaged Excel 2010 file on your system by using the Open dialog box.
- Expand the arrow next to the Open button and then select the Open and Repair option.
- Click on Repair tab when you are asked to recover the data in Excel 2010.
- If the repair fails, click on Extract Data to extract the values and the formula in the damaged file.
- Now Excel gives you the following prompts either of the following:
‘Convert to Values’/ ‘Recover Formulas’.
“The document file name caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?“When you continue to open it, and Excel opens the last file saved, which you need to save.”
Click Yes in case you get these messages.
- Method to recover corrupted excel file 2013/2016
If you are facing problems of corrupt MS Excel files in Excel 2013 or 2016, then you can follow the steps given below:
- Open Excel 2013 or Excel 2016 and click on File.
- Now Click on Open.
- Locate the file folder where you have stored the corrupted workbook. In the Open dialog box, select the Excel file which requires repair. Next click on arrow sign located next to Open button. Select Open and Repair from the options present in the drop-down menu.
- Click on Repair to repair the maximum amount of data from your corrupt Excel file in Excel 2013/2016.
- If this repair is unsuccessful, select Extract Data which enables you to extract all the formula and values from the Outlook.
If the above methods are not helpful to you. You can use the SysInfo Tools Professional Excel recovery Tool.
It is a simple tool that can be used even by a non-technical person.
You can follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Start by launching the Excel Recovery Tool and select the corrupt XLS/XLSX file to start the recovery process and click on next.
Step 2. Wait till the recovery process is going on.
3. In this option, you have to select the grid option from the drop down menu and select ‘Next’.
4. This tool shows the preview of recovered files and clicks on ‘Next’
5. In this step, choose any or both the options for fine recovery i.e. ‘Recreate Approach’ or ‘Save Media’
6. Now you can save the recovered files to your desired location.
7. Now the saving process is complete and click on OK to close the application.
To Sum Up
In this article, I have discussed the simple methods to recover corrupted excel file 2007/2010/2013/2016 on your own. These files can be damaged due to many reasons and all your important data can be lost. So, you can make use of the methods described above to restore and repair lost excel files.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!